Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Bilbo and me arn't too different

In The Hobbit by J.R.R Tolken, Bilbo is greeted by a wizard named Gandalf and is asked to accompany him on an adventure. Bilbo declines politely but Gandalf persists and comes back with 13 dwarves whom ask him to help them attempt to slay Smaug, the thieving dragon. Bilbo is part of a race known as Hobbits whom are quite shy creatures. This could be tied into my life quite possibly

In the book Tolken says that Hobbits "have become rare and shy of the big people". I myself am quite shy in terms of  meeting other people. I can understand how Bilbo and his fellow Hobbits feel about meeting new people. Also, Bilbo describes his own folk by saying "We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures". His own opinion on the idea of adventuring is proof that a typical Hobbit is not very adventurous and wants things to be safe. Tolken also reveals that Hobbits, specifically Bilbos family (the Bagginses), are very predictable in their ways. He says that "you can tell what a Baggins would say on any question without the bother of asking"

I can relate to the personality of the typical Hobbit. I myself am very shy and i would've turned down Gandalf's offer any day of the week. I wouldn't want to go and slay a dragon for a massive heap of gold. I don't really take to many risks in my life, I live in the boundaries I make for myself. Bilbo doesn't really do that much either. he simply lives in his very neatly arranged Hobbit-hole,smokes his pipe and reads. Every day is the same for him pretty much and this is usually the same for me. I have a routine and i stick to it in a show of repetition. I often come home wondering if anything really interesting or exciting happened today. More times than not i find myself  saying an unfortunate "no".

These traits in Bilbo may change though, in fact they allready have. Bilbo has unwillingly accepted the offer of Gandalf and his Dwarves. He's becoming more adventurous and is hopefully breaking the boundaries set for himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment