Watchmen by Alan Moore may be a comic book but it's a very deep graphic novel. Different characters represent different things about humanity. The book follows the adventures of a group of mostly-retired vigilantes known as the watchmen. One of them The Comedian, is killed and slowly, all of their lives are endangered or they are put out of the way of a certain someone. I don't want to give away spoilers but that's the basic gist. I will focus on the 2 character whom I find most fascinating: Dr Manhattan and Rorschach. I will say what they may represent about humanity and what metaphors they may represent.
Rorsharch is a sociopathic vigelante who operates illegally. He often is not afraid to break fingers to get what he wants. He once "put 15 people in hospital needlessly" to get information on somebody who kidnapped a 6-year old. He may represent the smartest person in the room or maybe the voice of reason and unbearable truth in a dark world. He was the only person of the watchmen who figured out that somebody was slowly getting rid of the watchmen. Then again, when the voice of reason is mentally unstable that makes for a very dark world. It shows how messed up their world is.
Dr Manhattan was just a regular physics scientist until one day his atoms were restructured in a small physical blast. Weeks later various body systems were found walking around the building where he died. A couple months later a naked blue man appeared in the cafeteria. This man would come to be known as Dr. Manhattan. He has what are basically god powers and singlehandedly helps the U.S win the Vietnam War. Although he has also become a sociopath and has no emotion. I think that he's what happens when you have too much fame or power. Everybody becomes your subject and they don't really matter much anymore. For example: "A live body and a dead body contain the same number of particles. Structurally there's no discernible difference". This is his cold and a bit too logical way of thinking. He's lost all his humanity
what do you think of the watchmen? post in the comments.
I haven't read or watched Watch Men, However: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59g5R8rwqpY I have heard that before. From what I take from your descriptions, this rag-tag group of heroes (?) is all that protects a much worse city. You did mention the existence of hospitals, so I can't really tell which is worse. The good guys or the rest of the dark world.
ReplyDelete